July 10, 2012 by Cynthia
How can I reach thee? Let me count the ways.
Needed to retrieve a message to day, but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out where I’d put it. And after a bit of searching, I felt just like those people who can’t remember where they parked their car in the Mall of America: Doomed to forever wander the endless stalls, looking for the right vehicle.
–begin oldtimer alert–
I remember when email was an expensive, chancy novelty called MCIMail. We reporters were given MCIMail accounts when we traveled, and sternly warned not to waste our precious message allocations. The service was so rickety that we carried instruction sheets for Backup Communications Plans B through E, for when MCIMail died:
- B: Hook up the modem and acoustic coupler to your 14-pound laptop, dial up CompuServe and upload the text to a file. Then call us and tell us where to find it.
- C: Find a printer (or write out your story longhand) and fax it back to the office
- D: Call the copydesk (or nighttimes, your editor at home) and dictate the story
- E: Find the nearest Western Union office…
That was it. Note that only the first TWO involved actually communicating online. Once, in rural France, I got all the way down to Plan F: Federal Express.
–end oldtimer alert–
So…fast forward to June 29, 2012, when my lost communication could be parked in any ONE of these:
- 8 different email accounts (personal and work)
- Facebook private mail
- Facebook statusing
- Twitter @messaging
- Private messages at 9 different online forums
- Public messaging at those same forums
- iChat, Googletalk, Yahoo Messenger chat accounts
- Smartphone texting
I now have 33 different ways to connect with someone online… and I wonder why I can’t find a message?
Obviously, some consolidation is in order–I’m already doing it with SMTP and IMAP mail accounts but the rest of it’s, well… I’ll get back to you as soon as I figure it out.
In the meantime, send me an email.
- Reading is believing "I'll have the butter croissant," the man in front of me decides,...